Life is all about making choices but there are some cases where you are unable to make some choices.
Take for instance your family. You cannot determine the kind of family you are born into. You may not be able to pick the kind of people you want to work with, and almost 100% of the time, you hardly get to pick your boss.
In a recent survey we conducted, we asked our audience one question- If you were to pick between a male and female boss, which would you prefer?
The result of our survey is presented in this infographic below.
Want to share this image? Use the information in the box below.
Statistic for our survey
312 respondents in total took the survey
56 out of the total respondents specified their gender as male.
28 out of the total respondents specified their gender as female.
Out of the total people that took our survey, 42 were not gainfully employed while 42 people are employed.
Here is the result of the survey.
Our question once again is: Male or Female boss- Which do you prefer?
64.74% of the total respondents prefer a male boss
10% would prefer to work with a female boss
24 % did not have any special preferences.
And so officially, Nigerian prefers to work with a male boss.
Top reasons a Male boss is preferred
According to our respondents, the following reasons are why a male boss is preferred:
- Females are too arrogant when they are in leadership position
- Most female bosses are usually very harsh, intolerant and like being intoxicated by power
- Female bosses are not always that active at work, because of the responsibility that rest upon them at home
- Women are always wicked
- Female bosses are always harsh and talk too much while male bosses are considerate and don’t have time for much and or unnecessary talk
- Women are emotional and can bring in their emotional life to discomfort their subordinates
- Men are more kind and friendlier than their female counterpart
- Male bosses provide a conducive working environment for someone, always ready to train their subordinates
- Male bosses are better at understanding human feelings.
Only a reason was given by our respondents whose choice of a preferred boss is female. They believe that
- Females are sometimes kind
How many females preferred a male boss?
Out of the total 28 female respondent, 16 preferred a male.
How many males prefer a female boss?
Only 4 males out of the total 56 male respondents preferred a female boss.
Based on our survey, we reached out to a Career Coach Expert, Margaret and asked her to share her top tips on how to deal with a boss you do not like. Here is what she has to say.
If you have a boss you don’t like, you can either find another job or learn ways to better manage him or her.
Here are a few strategies:
1) Identify what motivates them. The better you understand your boss, the better positioned you are to deliver results and manage expectations. What does he care about? What would he love more or what would he love less of on a daily basis? How does he measure success etc?
2) Work around their weaknesses and support their success
It may sound counter intuitive to support a bad boss in becoming more successful, but you won’t gain anything by trying to make him or her look bad. Try to help them focus on their natural strengths and proactively work around their weaknesses. For example if your boss is disorganized, then help him to be on top of things rather than whining about his lack of organizational skills. Making yourself indispensable and someone your boss can rely on to help him do his job is a valuable asset when you start to look to ‘what’s next?’
3) Speak up and give your boss a chance to respond
Talk to your boss about your concerns as he might not be aware that you’re unhappy.
4) Don’t be intimated by a bully
Stand firm if your boss is bullying you. If you’re doing the best job you can do, keep your head held high and don’t give him the satisfaction of pushing you about. Rather ask questions, seek to understand, and work to defuse a difficult situation instead of cowering or responding in anger. It takes practice, but over time you will get better at it and he will look elsewhere for his power kick.
Do you have an expert tip for dealing with a boss you do not like? Share with us.
Recommended Must Read
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- 3 IT Skills to Keep Your Career Future Proof - May 26, 2016
- 5 Workplace Romance Rules - February 14, 2016
- Career Questions and Answers-How Do I Accelerate My Career - January 18, 2016